Phil Mickelson Fan's Blog

Blogging about the People's Champion Phil Mickelson

Monday, February 8, 2010

Riviera, Steve Stricker and The Superbowl

I spent almost all Sunday sitting in front of the TV watching golf and football, it's a great way to enjoy Superbowl Sunday.   While sunken into the couch I had a few thoughts on the golf and football:
  • Glad to see Steve Stricker held on to win at the Northern Trust Open.  No one wants to blow a 6 stroke lead on Sunday and it seemed like Stricker was playing not to lose instead of to win.   A few more bounces for Luke Donald and things could have been different
  • Stricker passed Phil Mickelson to move into the number 2 spot on the world rankings.  Phil had one of his Sunday rounds where it seems like he wants to get off the course, finishing T45.  Stricker and Mickelson are polar opposites on the golf course.  Stricker very consistent, fairways and greens and never in much trouble.  Lefty on the other hand gets himself into tight spots all the time with his aggressive play, sometimes working sometimes not.  I think that's why we love Mickelson, his go for broke approach to golf. 
  • Speaking of go for broke approach I saw this in Sean Payton, the head coach for the New Orleans Saints in the Superbowl.  I wasn't cheering for a particular team, more hoping for a close game until Payton made two game changing plays.  The first was the 4th down call from the one and a half yard line and the second was the onside kick.  I gained so much respect for him because he played to win, not to lose.  I promise I would be applauding both of those plays even if the Saints lost the game.  I now link Sean Payton's coaching style to the way Phil Mickelson plays golf, always being aggressive and trying to win. 
What did you think of the golf on Sunday?  Keep me posted, I love hearing from you and I will always reply.  Twitter me (@pmickelsonfans) or email: pmickelsonfans@gmail.com

Don't be worried about Phil dropping to number 3 in the world rankings either, he's working on a few things and trying to have his game sharp for Augusta. 


No comments:

Post a Comment